Monday, October 09, 2006

God of Thunder


I have written before about how surreal my job can be - meeting people I never would have dreamed of meeting.

If you would have told me when I was 6 years old watching Star Wars that I would one day watch a fourth Star Wars movie sitting next to George Lucas I never would have believed you.

If you would have told me when I spent 2 weeks of 8th grade listening to the "Unforgettable Fire" on a continuous loop in my walkman that I would one day produce a show with U2 I would never have believed you.

If you would have told me what I was ten years old watching Batman that I would one day have a near death experience with Robin himself, Burt Ward...well, I probably would have believed you but I still would have thought it was cool.

Same goes for Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Dennis Hopper, R.E.M., Mr. T, Dave Letterman, Jay Leno, the Ramones, John Lydon, Elvis Costello etc. ...these are people I grew up listening to or watching and now I have worked with them. Of course, a lot of them were assholes but hey...

When I was in 5th grade I almost cut off my left thumb while trying to cut a cardboard guitar out of an old refridgerator box with a steak knife. I was cutting out what I didn't even know at the time was a Gibson Les Paul - so I could be Ace Frehley from Kiss. Like most of America's youth I was obsessed with Kiss. I have written about this before. (read it here) They were rockstars, they fought crime, what the fuck were they? They were marketing geniuses is what they were.

So in another case of my surreal career, say hello to the new Co-Executive Producer of "Gene Simmon's Family Jewels" on A&E.

The man that scared the crap out of me, the man on the poster my parent's had to cover so I could sleep at night. Very surreal.

I will be working with Adam Reed who produced the first season. He seems like a very cool guy and I look forward to working with him and all the folks at The Greif Company (they produce the show).

All I have to do now is jam with Paul McCartney, have Francis Ford Coppola cook for me and slow dance with Uma Thurman and my list is pretty much complete. Oh, and Woody Allen is in there somewhere too but I can't imagine doing anything with him that wouldn't be awkward so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

No comments: