Thursday, April 24, 2008

Who Else Will Have Us?

In this post-911, Iraq War nation much is said about how lucky we are to live in this country. I agree of course. For all its flaws, America is still a country and an idea I believe in.

I have been asked many times, "If you couldn't live in the US, where would you live?" I have given a lot of thought to this, and with all the traveling I have done in recent years I have gotten a good taste of life elsewhere. This "taste" has made me realize, "Where else would you live?" is not the question. The real question is, "Who else would have us?"

I have been through Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Mexico and many places in between and have learned one important lesson. People all over the world hate Americans.

I have been hassled at customs while people from all nations have walked through unbothered. I have been charged more for stuff, denied directions, all for being a big dumb American and allegedly supporting George W. Bush (because after all, as an American, I single handedly put him in power).

So the next time you say to yourself and others, "There is no other country I would rather live in," keep in mind that not only do you live in arguably the best nation on the planet, it is also most probably the only one that will have you.

No comments: