Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Genius Voting

I want to thank everyone who I have besieged with e-mails and alerts pleading you to vote for me and Marc's new comic book "Genius," which is competing in Top Cow's Pilot Season.

For those of you who have voted, thank you. And for those who have been asking, "How's it doing?" My answer is this:

"Not good enough. And better than I thought."

???

Let me explain.

Marc and I knew from the moment we thought of the concept that "Genius" would be a tough pill to swallow. Tough for publishers to get behind; tough for readers to grasp. The very first image is a horrible one - a police officer being shot.

And that's OK. Some projects you do for yourself. Some would say that Marc and I are too early into our comic careers to be so self indulgent so soon but the truth of the matter is - we are because we can.

We both have day jobs. Good day jobs. We are not doing comics for the money, although that would be nice. Because we are not fighting to feed our families and living off Ramen noodles we have the luxury to say, "no" to crap projects and be patient enough to find homes for ones we are passionate about.

I love my wife. I love my kids. As the executive producer of a TV show my time is valuable. If I am going to take on another career it better well be something I have a fucking blast doing. And it is. As long as Marc and I can continue to do stuff that we like - like "Genius" - we've won.

If you don't like "Genius" for the writing or the art that is your prerogative. But if you mistakenly think it is glorifying "cop killing" you are mistaken. Regardless of whether you think the lead character, Destiny, is evil or in the right, from a purely creative stand point her story has a right to be told.

For a much more eloquent explanation, check out Marc's blog entry here

No comments: